Using our interactive tool, you can see the correlation between Star Ratings and medication adherence firsthand. Curious about how you stack up against similar plans? Set the measure-specific performance sliders to your plans’ Star Ratings to see how you compare.
The Data Are Clear
- Medication adherence is critical to overall performance. Plans that perform well on these key measures also tend to have higher overall quality ratings. Of MAPD plans that achieved overall 2019 Star Ratings of 4 or 5 Stars, 64% earned 4 or 5 Stars on all three medication adherence measures.
- Achieving and sustaining high adherence and Star Ratings is difficult. Fluctuating CMS cut points and consistent annual national improvement trends require plans to continuously innovate to meet these challenges.
- Improving on prior performance is another path to success. Even plans that are not high performing can positively impact their overall Star Rating scores by using a focused targeting and intervention strategy to drive significant year-over-year improvement in adherence.
Making medication adherence improvements a reality is more dynamic and challenging than other clinical quality measures. If improving medication use is not already the cornerstone of your quality improvement strategy, it should be. You need the right approach, analytics, and interventions to improve medication use. RxAnte can help.
1. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Part C and D Performance Data, https://www.cms.gov/medicare/prescription-drug-coverage/prescriptiondrugcovgenin/performancedata.html
2. CMS calculates the Star Rating based on data from two calendar years prior. For example, results from the 2019 Star Rating Year are based on data from calendar year 2017.